View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Why to bet your sets on the flop (brag thread)

My thinking on the hand is the following... with several opponents in a hand, and Ciderman sitting in MP, his flop check is an OK option. That line goes like this: check-call a flop bet, and check-raise all-in on any turn that doesn't complete a straight... this meets with varying degrees of success depending on opponents, the worst case scenario being that the turn checks through and the river completes draws. But another way it can work out well is if the flop checks through and then an EP opponent takes a stab on the turn, allowing Ciderman to raise when that turn card is safe. Anyway, the whole point of taking things easy on the flop is to avoid getting committed before the turn bricks nicely. I'd admit that this board is among the safer boards to catch a set on, but there is still merit to his play.

On the turn, I do think you made a mistake calling that pot-size bet. It's a pretty miniscule mistake, because the hand is multiway and because your hand is decently strong--and so you'll never be such a huge dog that you'll be giving up a tremendous amount of EV to your opponents. However, considering how rare it will be that your nut low draw and OESD are both not being shared by opponents, I think in general you will be giving up a little EV here over the long run.

I think I ought to rephrase what I said before like this... if I was playing my very best, I would fold this on the turn. 90% of the time though, I'd call like you did.