View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Career Question- State School vs. Big Private

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Transferring would help my GPA alot. I have friends at clemson back home who (atleast so far, they are sophmores) say that college has been MUCH easier than high-school (I made almost identical grades to them in high-school). One of them has a 4.0 and another a 3.8. They rarely go to class and i have yet to miss a class. Sure the class content might be similar (im not so sure it is) but the grading is so much easier there.
At the moment the mean grade in most the classes im taking is curved to a B- so you have to be a decent bit about average to make a 3.0. And if there is one thing I have learned since being at Cornell it is that im not above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take that with a huge grain of salt. I find it hard to believe that any college engineering program is easier than high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

A note about GPA's in college:

At expensive private schools, it's almost impossible to get a D or F. If you show up, you will get a C because the school (correctly) view you as a customer. Mommy and Daddy are paying 40K a year to send junior to this school; you will not fail. A's are really tough, though, because the top of the class works very hard. A 3.0 average should be pretty easy if you care at all.

At a public school, people fail, especially in the first couple of years when classes are too big. A's can still be really tough to get; I remember a bio class I took that was on a true bell curve - 7% A, 2% A-, 9% F's. This was the most competitive and terrible class I ever took.