View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Review, Advanced Limit Holdem Strategy (Tanenbaum)

[ QUOTE ]
While it is true that Mason has given all 2+2 titles a good review (which only makes sense, he wouldn't have published them if he didn't like them) he has also given some non- 2+2 titles high marks, even in some cases where he and the author don't seem to get along. True most books don't get very good reviews but it is also true that most suck.

RZ

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 books are generally pretty good on the whole. Obviously some titles are better than others, but compared to some of the trash put out by other publishers (esp. Cardoza) 2+2 is pretty far ahead, so if MM has some things he doesn't like about certain publications, so be it. As pointed out he has had positive things to say about some non-2+2 titles, as do most of us who read a lot of poker lit.

As far as the "illusion of action" bit, yes it appeared in print a long time before Fromm's DVD or the Zee/Fromm project. I don't think it's that big a deal, it could well be something each thought up independently. I used run a website called "freakonomics.com" for our college's econonomics program, several years before there was a best-seller by the same name (we actually sold the domain to the authors before I knew about the book). It's also very unlikely the authors knew about us since we hardly did anything serious with the site. It would be kind of pointless to debate over who had it first is what I'm getting at. These things happen, it's not like someone plagarized a paragraph or whatever. I'm sure RZ didn't know and I'm sure Fromm didn't steal anything. No biggie.