View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

JAK,

I think we're probably on the same page here, but I feel like discussing this further. I don't actually have a problem with Christians setting certain standards of modesty of dress or other codes of decency for themselves. There is some Biblical basis for modest dress, and every reasonable Christian will tell you that we should strive to be pure and holy in the eyes of the Lord. It is perfectly reasonable to try and live a God-pleasing life, in attire and in action. Where I take issue is in the following:

1. When Christians try to force these same codes on others. You could argue that parents are forcing these standards on their children, but the relationship (as it pertains to instilling moral codes) between a parent and his or her child is clearly different than that between two adult peers.
2. When Christians exclude or exclude themselves from people who don't follow those same codes.
3. When the focus of following those codes ceases to be looking pure and holy in the eyes of the Lord, and instead becomes looking pure and holy in the eyes of the world. This is a fine and yet tremendous distinction, but this small change in attitude about why you're doing what you're doing can make a huge difference in how you live your life. Jesus himself addressed this very issue, instructing us to pray in the privacy of our rooms, not making a scene on a street corner, to tithe anonymously rather than with fanfare, and when you're fasting, dress well and look good rather than putting on a show of looking wretched and feeble from your lack of food. Christians are instructed that piety is an issue between oneself and God, not between oneself and the world.

I disagree that moral relativism, nihilism, and iconoclasm pose the greatest threat to Christianity. I think Christians are naturally resilient to this kind of assault on their beliefs -- they are often discussed in the Bible. Even the fundies manage to get that part right. I think the greater threat is tearing the church apart from the inside out. The abuse of Christian teachings is much, much more likely to grip those Christians who would otherwise be well-meaning, and it can irreparably damage the image of all Christians in the eyes of many who might hear the calling. This is really why I get so riled up whenever talk of the fundamentalists comes up.