View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Default An EDF Introspective: S.R.E.A.M.

This is a post I’ve had written in my head for a long time now. It started in my head as a rant, but it turns out that I’m really just very interested in the topic.

Basically, I want to explore the nearly complete and wholehearted acceptance of sex as a motivator in the culture of the American male. Hopefully, we can all agree on the premise, which is that doing certain things in our lives in the name of getting laid is generally seen as acceptable or even admirable among our group of peers…moreso than in most times in our history.

Why is this? We live in a world with a number of tools and methods to help us understand why we make the decisions we make. Why does it seem like we never focus a spotlight on the sex drive? I never hear my friends or other people who are close to me asking themselves “Why do I want to get laid so badly?” or “Why do I keep banging random chicks/vapid whores/girls I really don’t like/etc?” We call in to question soooo many motivational tools such as money, religion, obligation to others, spite, etc, but it seems like sex is the one invincible, pure, irrefutable motivator in our society. In fact, I will probably have my sexuality called in to question just for posting something like this.

So, EDF, why do we think this? If what I’ve written applies to you, have you ever asked yourself why sex is so prominent in your decision-making process? Have you ever thought about the ramifications of blindly accepting sex as motivator (obviously, I mean this in a psychological sense, not in a spiritual/religious sense)? Is there a logical argument to suggest that fueling the sex drive can ultimately lead to fulfillment or happiness?

If at all possible, I’d like to avoid the “we’re animals and we all have impulses and it’s fine to follow those impulses and possibly even harmful to deny them” argument, because even if it is true, it is an argument that suggests that logic is inapplicable to the situation. There is no way to get a squeeze a good discussion out of that.

I have a lot more to write on this topic, but for brevity’s sake, I’ll stop here and get some responses first.