View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 02:39 AM

Default NFL Developmental league....Thoughts???

I know how baseball prepares it players that are not ready for MLB (AAA, AA, A, College, etc), and I know how hockey does (IHL, AHL, etc), but I'm not sure what happens to a drafted NFL player that is not yet ready for the NFL.

I realize there are arena league and Canadian Football League options, but these don't provide for a direct affiliation by NFL team like MLB and the NHL does.

So (and I apologize if this is a stupid question), but why hasn't it been looked at that the Canadian Football League and NFL form some form of affiliation?

For example, the British Columbia Lions could serve as a farm-like team for the Chargers, Seahawks, 49ers and Raiders. The Toronto team could serve the Bills, Jets, Pats, etc. Could this type of relationship make the CFL stronger and more interesting, and also give NFL teams a chance to develop talent other than through a practice roster?

It might mean the CFL would need to tweak a few rules (and maybe start the season sooner), but it could aslo create a US audience for pro-football in the summer season, when much of the CFL is played.

The only reason I can think that this would not work well is becuase there might be no need for a transitional league between NCAA and the NFL? You either make it right away or fall off the radar, in most cases? Is that the case? I'm just wondering. Help me out folks...

Thoughts? Thanks