Thread: HOH "outdated"
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: HOH \"outdated\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can make money with the ability level of a 1500 rating if your official rating is lower and you can get into the u1200 section at the World Open or other similar tournament. Even in chess, it's all about game selection if you're in it to maximize profits. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You win money at the World Open at low ratings? I didn't know that.

Anyway, basically you're saying you can win by cheating :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

At lot of major tournaments give rather sizable prizes for sections down to u1200 or even lower. I did win the u1200 in a situation like I proposed a few years ago, but actually without cheating; I got back into chess with a rating that was still the one I had when I was 8 years old, played in as many tournaments as I could, and got my rating up to 1175. Then that summer I found out about the $3,000 first prize for the u1200 section and signed up, and won it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was probably legitimately around a 1400 player at the time, though to be honest, I wasn't even sure about that going into the tournament. I just knew I'd have a chance (and got very lucky in a few games to boot).

There are a lot of people who do go out of their way to sandbag for these tournaments though. With a first prize this year of $12k in the u1400 section and $7k in the u1100 section, it's not hard to see why.