View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Q for EDF Business Type People: Follow Up

Current disagreement wrt procedure between me and my boss.

One of my responsiblies is to implement changes in contract language to our contracts and the websites that reference them.

There is currently an email discussion between our Vice Provost (leader of organization, my bosses bosses boss) and two memebers of the AG's office about some changes in contract language.

My boss suggests that I should take this email, file it, and if I hear nothing for 2 weeks follow up with the group. Her feeling is this makes me look proactive and invested.

My feeling is that it's simply not ok for somebody at my level to be doing this to people that high up the food chain. My boss doens't feel this way at all, and has upset a few people in this organization because she's stepped on their toes and told them how to do their jobs. That said, she also has a reputation as somebody who gets things done and is way on top of stuff.

So it's something of a cost/benefit question. This is University Admin stuff, but I would be interested in responses across various fields. Where's that line between being involved and helpful and just being a pest? If you're management, What do you expect of those employees beneath you? At what point do they just start to be inappropriate and invasive?