View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Game softness for a omaha novice.

I my 1st days of Omaha I love to talk to the guys in the chat. It answers so much of your anwers. On Bodog you can only 3-table, so people have time. Here is how I perceive the tables:

Out of the 10 players I usually find:
- 2 to 4 "regulars" who kind know about Omaha cuz they're all old and played some poker for a while. Usually disciplined and almost never raise PF. Easily recognizable and the only ones u can bluff
- 2 to 3 maniaco gamblers. They love Omaha cuz u have 4 cards. They raise just about anything. I try to stay patient vs them and it usually takes ~1hr to get a stack of them
- 1 or 2 guys totally lost who came there by curiosity, and will busto soon (those who think they have a flush on a 4-suit board for REAL)
- usually 1 to 2 HE players. And yeah. They play with 2 cards being dealt 4 and find in AK87ds a monster. they know the rules sorta but they're freeroll food.

I think people play Omaha out of curiosity + b/c it's an action game. I guess Omaha/8 is even crazier. People tend to look alike in LHE and easily recognizable. In PLO I usually try to guess and wait for key words (e.g you make fun of 1 and he says" "I had a redraw" ---> notes or some1 mentions VPIP etc.

Concerning your point about the mathematical kinda guy, I tend to agree: I've seen many many people playing LHE and PLO while NL players play NLHE only. Seems to me that the math involved (pot odds, equity etc.) in both LHE and PLO is definitely a common factor. In NLHE, esp. SH, the math are far less important than the context situation (ranges % >>> equity). I know that from playing HU NLHE. Hands don't run so close in value there.