View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Live Etiquette - Line Check

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding over-raking, as long as you aren't a jerk about it, then yes please remind me when I do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an attitude that I genuinely find frustrating. Over-raking is not a little mistake, it is a monster mistake. It's worse, in my opinion, than almost any other mistake a dealer can make (most dealer mistakes are reversible).

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, how is over-raking not reversible? First, let me say I'm at a place that does drop, not rake, so it's easier to correct. I'll gladly under-drop the next hand to make up for it, and I've even done that myself when nobody noticed. I've given a dollar back out of my pocket, as well. It's your sort of knee-jerk extreme reaction that is what I could do without. Talk to me like a person, not a dancing monkey. You'll have all e-tables soon enough, don't worry.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if I've noticed you over-raking, it means that you've probably already done it several times when I haven't noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

For others, perhaps, but not for me. As I said in the post you quoted, I count the players every time and announce it every time. If I over-rake, it's usually only for one hand, and it rarely happens. If it's pointed out to me that I've been over-dropping the entire down, I'll gladly make it up to the players best I can from my pocket. As silly as my job is, I have pride in it, and a few bucks isn't worth tarnishing my standing in the room. I'm sorry if this attitude genuinely frustrates you.

[ QUOTE ]
While I have a responsibility to help the games run smoothly, there's a reason players pay rake and tips for dealers to do things like make sure they're not dropping extra money off the table. Please don't "go on autopilot" -- you're making a decent wage for labor not requiring a college degree, you're getting payed to stay focused EVERY HAND.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a university degree, so am I allowed to go on auto-pilot? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, you WANT your dealers to get into a flow. This is an incredibly repetitive job. I deal 200-300 hands a shift. I don't even look at the board most of the time. You don't want me to focus 100% on everything on every hand. It would slow me down considerably not to use my shorthand. Mostly the games run themselves, and I pay more attention when I can tell it needs it, but usually I'm just in auto mode. Doing that saves my energy for when I need it, when it matters.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were raking too little routinely, I'm sure you wouldn't just expect the house to "smile and patiently remind you". Why should raking extra money from the players be any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I would expect my bosses to give me a gentle reminder. Maybe not the super higher ups who don't know me, but my day to day supervisors know I'm a good dealer and that I can err every once in a while. For some reason you seem to think that the occasional extra dollar dropped - which as I've stated I am always willing to compensate - is the end of everything for you.

If you don't think my auto-pilot mode is good for you, consider this: the high stakes players and prop players routinely compliment me on my dealing, and have many times told me I'm the best dealer in the house during my shift. I get out far more hands than almost any other dealer. My table is almost always clean, action clear, board neat. I prompt when needed, stay out when not. I'm aware of which players need help and which want to be left alone. I move the game along as quickly as possible, within the comfort zone shy of rushing. Factor that into your histronics when trying to figure out how much money I've stolen from you.

So, yeah, how about a simple gentle reminder on the very rare occasion this happens? Have I proven myself well enough for you?

Sheesh.