View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Let\'s elaborate on Sunglasses

I just read through the Tumi thread, in which asofel talks about splurging on a product that seems overpriced, but turns out to be a great value.

There was some discussion of sunglasses in the thread, but I think it's a topic that warrants further discussion. Also, I'm thinking about buying an "expensive" pair for the first time ever, and I'm wondering if it will be worth it.

Background: Apparently my head and face are (or were) relatively skinny, as most sunglasses look too "wide" on me. Because of that, and also because I am a cheapskate, I've either gone without or had a super cheap pair for years.

A couple years ago I figured out that REI carries a brand of cheap sunglasses made for kids (don't laugh) that fit me pretty well. I have gone through about 3 or 4 pairs of these in the past 5 years, although I've owned the latest pair for over 2 years without losing or breaking them.

I was pretty happy with the glasses, until a friend left his Smith Toasters over at my house and I started wearing them. Wow, they're a lot better! The fit is nicer, and they actually look normal on my face (unlike a lot of glasses I had tried throughout the years). Plus the light outside just looks better through them, and I don't get a weird rainbow effect when I have the visor down on my motorcycle helmet.

Figuring that the Toasters would cost $60-$70, I went to REI last night to buy a pair. Oops, they're $110. For non-polarized. A pair with polarized lenses costs $130.

Of course, it's not the absolute amount of money that concerns me... it's the fact that it's $130 for a couple pieces of freaking plastic that aren't THAT different than the ones that cost $10. Also remember that I am a huge cheapskate. It was enough to give me pause.

What I'm looking for in the thread:

1) Testimonial: Expensive sunglasses are totally worth it and here's why.
2) Testimonial: Stick with the cheap ones and here's why.
3) Recommendations and reviews on sunglasses in general.

For reference:

Smith Toasters - $109 non-polarized

Native "Attack" Sunglasses (another pair I tried on that I really liked) $140