View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Results and Panel Comments

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet 700. Our hand is still very vulnerable, and we can't make it cheap to see the river. I don't like a bigger bet of say, 1000, because that just makes river play awkward and commits us a little more than I would like.

Note that if we bet 700 on the turn and our opponent calls, the pot on the river will be 2190, we will have 2160 behind. If instead we bet 1,000 and the opponent calls, there wil be 2790 in the pot, and we will have 1860 behind. If a scary card comes, say the ten of hearts, and our opponent sets us in on the river, our pot odds will make this a tough hand to get away from. However, if we only bet 700 on the turn, we can easily fold to a pot sized all-in on the river if we think he got there. It's not a huge difference, but you should always be aware of how big the pot size and stack sizes will be on future streets. If you are the one betting, you are in control of these numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what I was smoking when I came up with these obviously wrong numbers.
If we bet 700, our stack will be 1460, and there will be 2170 in the pot. I'd probably bet around 650 making our effective stack 1510 and having 2070 in the pot, making a 3/4 bet on the river all-in.