Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Just A Reminder About Religious People

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone says that he's a believer because he feels the touch of god, his belief is not logically falsifiable. So, you know, stop trying to falsify it. More importantly, IMO, don't call him a moron because he's using a different (yet equally valid) epistemology.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like its logically falsifiable. Don't knock my equaly valid epistemology.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

agree again. the bottom line is that to have any sort of belief, you must start out at some unprovable position. for instance: "i think the sky is blue, because i see it as blue." might be more 'logical' than "i think the sky is green, because i feel like it's green," but it isn't any more valid or provable. how do you know that your perception is accurate and another's is inaccurate? you don't know, unless you take some things as given. (in your case, your perception of the material world=reality. in his case, something else)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right but once you've settled on your list of axioms that you simply decide are true, you are still held responsible for the consequences of those axioms. In other words, ALL of the logically derivable positions that are based on those premises. The people chez are talking about want their cake and to eat it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, i agree. by extension, picking the parts that you like most from various logical philosophies and discarding the parts that you don't like, to make a nonsensical jumble that you really like, should be frowned upon. i guess people do actually do that.

also, for the same reason i can't know that what someone else percieves is nonsense, he cannot know that what i percieve is nonsense. so, all religions that claim to be "right" or claim that others are "wrong" are out of line. i think i agree with you guys on that one. but you will never hear me ridicule someone who makes assumptions that i don't, as long as that person does not claim to be 100% sure he is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to be fair, I dont start OUT ridiculing them for making assumptions that I dont make. And really at no point is that WHY I might ridicule them. More, I ridicule them for having no idea what assumptions they are actually making until forced to name them, and then pretending like these assumptions for some reason dont apply to everyone else. IOW, "I use my own personal experience as a way to find truth but Muslims are misguided heathens."