View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: How can I hit/throw/punch/kick farther? The Kinetic Chain.

I generally just lurk here but I just wanted to say I enjoyed this post. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was racquetball. I was a big casual racquetballer in college and the hardest thing for me to grasp was how to land a powerful strike on the ball so low to the ground. I did some research when I was learning the game online and found proper technique is the same idea. It starts with your legs planted 90 degrees to the wall with your shoulder and arm cocked in the opposite direct and your waist twisted a bit, basically you wind yourself up. And rather than hitting the ball with your arm you start the swing with a strong snap of your hips which brings your torso around, then your shoulder, your elbow, and finally your wrist snapping at the end. When done correctly you actually exert very little force in your arm and it sort of just acts like a whip with a racquet attached to it. Needless to say my game improved greatly once I got this down. Unfortunately, your front foot stays planted while your body twists forward which is why you see most long time racquetballers with knee braces.