View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

Economics - It's the study of choices. If you want to see HOW the world really works, then go for economics. It'll explain everything in life.

My one professor has a bet that has been running for like 15 years or so, he said, "if anyone can find me an article that can't be applied to economics in some way, I will pay you $100." I doubt anyone is really looking, but it's the idea that counts.

The biggest problem I have with it is that I took some finance classes and economics and finance can go hand-in-hand at some points. Also, take notes and drawing supply/demand curves can take up alot of paper in your notebook if you're trying to get a point across. Also, one problem I have with Economics is that through all of the application you do, there are a lot of assumptions. That can only be explained because you can't take samples of economies and see how they react to changes. It's not like you can take lab mice and put them through different tests. The economy can only be studied as a whole, so any policy or change needs to be studied through assumptions to see how people will react.

Some ECON classes are more in depth than others, and some require more writing, while other schools are a little more difficult, but I really like economics alot (run-on sentence).

Read the book, "Freakonomics" and you'll see the power of Economics.

I like Economics because "it makes sense." It tells you why prices are the way they are, and why people behave the way they do.

Here are some topics of economics:

Economics of Sports*
Economics of Crime*
Economics of Human Resources*
Labor Economics
Economics of Tourism
Monetary Economics*
Macroeconomic Analysis*
Microeconomic Analysis*
Money & Capital Markets*
Econometrics (Econ and Statistics/Math combined)
Industrial Organization
Regulation of Industry
Government & Business
Managerial Economics
Public Finance
State and Local Finance
Economic Development
Economic History of the US
International Trade
International Finance
Economics of Health Services
Environmental Economics
Urban/Regional Economics
Economics of Labor Legislations

* Classes I am taking or have taken

Pretty much take a topic of your interest, and it can be applied to Economics in some way.