View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Are Astronauts Heroes?

[ QUOTE ]

katy, they aren't heroes simply by having job titles, it's all in their acts. For example, there is a lot of cop-hating and of course cops all have their own reason for wanting that job, but I'm sure there are plenty who strive to do the right thing, and then you've got the guys like Harvey Keitel in "Bad Lieutenant".

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you and yet run into so many people who think otherwise. For instance, the "teacher as hero" thing. Haven't you ever heard people say "well god bless her for being a teacher. Teachers aren't paid enough. They are saints." I'm usually like "huh? How about those jerks I had when I was in h.s.? They were lazy and unimpressive if you ask me." And they're like "You must have asked for it. I can tell you right now that it's not easy being a teacher. They are heroes."

Heroes? They get compensated well and get the summers off. It doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.

A lot of people think of these professions as "heroic" based on title only. I find it pretty strange and just cannot get on the same page.

(Covering my ass to say that I do feel there are many soldiers out there in Iraq who are heroes. We just may never hear of them.)