View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Getting started in kettlebell training

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think you'd be better off not doubling up on anything until you have at least a 16, a 24, and a 32.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg what I don't understand is that if I'm using worked my way up to one 32kg then wouldn't I have out grown the 16 and 24 and if so isn't it pointless to double up on these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not big on getting two KB's of the same weight, but some people like to do that. I think you're much better off getting one of every standard weight (35, 54, 70) up to at least the 88 before you go back and double up.

Regarding outgrowing weights, you will always use different weights for different exercises. For instance, you will outgrow a 70 for bent over rows very quickly and for military presses eventually, but it will take you a long time to outgrow a 54 pounder for windmills or turkish get-ups or high-pulls or snatches. A 35 pounder is also by far the best and safest to learn a new exercise on, and is worth using for a while on any new exercise to refine technique.

Additionally, there are different types of work-outs that go best with different weights. If you are doing swings, you can get a good work-out with a 54 or a 70 or an 88, whatever. They're just different work-outs. It depends how you want to put your scheme of reps/sets together, for your goals and comfort.

Finally, if you eventually duplicate weights, you have new work-out possibilities and again breathe new life into old weights, as using and balancing two kb's requires more stabilization and is harder.