View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

Just finished it this weekend...I think it's a great book. I still haven't worked much of it into my game...so far I'm just trying to take baby steps with it. But there have certainly been some hands where they became much easier to play...basically because I had a plan and was prepared for various actions.

One thing I wanted to mention was the 'Commitment Threshold' terminology. I found it was better for me to think of two different things here: the Commitment Threshold and the Commitment-decision Threshold. It seems that as I read the book my definition of 'commitment threshold' came to be '1/3 of the smaller stack' (i.e. don't put in 1/3 of the smaller stack and then fold). That's the threshold that once you cross, you're committed; ie. commitment threshold. But then a little further into the book the 'commitment threshold' became 10% of the smaller stack. But 10% is really the 'commitment decision threshold'...i.e. the threshold that once you cross you need to have made a decision about commitment.

It's just semantics I guess and it's probably simple enough to not make the distinction but...that's what seemed to make it 'click' a little better with me.

I see Sunny is a guitar player...me too. And perhaps a John Coltrane fan? Me too...that man played sick goot.