Default Re: Argh property rights debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

We're not talking about him we're talking about you. You say that property is a myth how would you feel if someone stronger or more agile or smarter than you stole your money? You would have no legitimate right to be upset right cos that's just they way things happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, we're talking about me.

If someone takes my money, I try to get it back. That may entail beating the [censored] out of the other guy, telling him that he's a bad boy, going to the police, or whatever. The point is that whether I have a "right" to that money has no bearing on if or how I try to get that money back. I try to get it back because I want it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let's say $100 was taken from you. You try to get it back, but they guy who took it is big and has more guns. You figure out that it's probably better long term to live a little longer and give up on the $100. But you still want the $100 back.

You see a little old lady sleeping in a wheelchair. A $100 bill is poking out of her pocket.

Do you take it? Nobody will see you. She's sawing logs, it would take something along the lines of a jet engine right behind her to wake her up.

[/ QUOTE ]

PVN this is another stupid attempt to show that property rights in fact exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I'm just pointing out that "I try to get it back because I want it back" is ignoring a whole lot of other factors. You're missing $100. You want it back. Here's a way to get $100 with no risk. Why wouldn't you take it if that's all that mattered?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because nobody said that's all that matters, dumb [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that whether I have a "right" to that money has no bearing on if or how I try to get that money back. I try to get it back because I want it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: You, tom, and the like resemble backwards fundamentalist Christians asserting that without God there is no basis to respect other people. Same rationale as without natural property rights there is no basis for people to respect property. And like those fundamentalists, it is appearing pointless to reason with you folks. And the sad thing is that a "natural" basis for property rights isn't even necessary to your belief system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't asserted any natural property right here. But don't stop the jumping to preconceived conclusions and ad hominem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I value living in a society where people don't take $100 bills from others, then I'd want to get my $100 bill from the guy that stole it or teach him a lesson to not do that again. Simple as that. No appeal to rights, and no inconsistency with the fact that I won't replace it with another $100 taken from an old lady.

And where again in your "ORLY" response did you show that the poster believed that any $100 bill will do?