View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Don\'t come home until u is sobern! (NC Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
$50 on ftp to anyone who figures out how to get me connected to ftp

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't play on FTP, but I'll give it a shot anyway, because I'm a helluva nice guy.

[ QUOTE ]
a program called proxifier did work for a while

[/ QUOTE ]

What proxy server was Proxifier set up to go through? Basically what Proxifier (and all proxy clients) does is encapsulate your Internet requests at the client, send it through your firewall on a port is does allow (e.g. HTTP), de-encapsulate the request at the server, send the request to the host from the server, receive the request at the server, re-encapsulate the data, send it back through the firewall, and de-encapsulate it at the client. Rinse and repeat.

So, you need a working client and a working server for this to work. (fwiw, if you didn't have a proxy server set up then Proxifier was installed on your computer, but you weren't actually using it, it was just there.) It sounds like, somehow, your proxy server got borked up and you need to correct that setting. It's possible you were connecting to the proxy server on a non-standard port that Brighton has started blocking, in which case all you need to do is change the setting to use port 80 (HTTP), or some other allowed port. It's also possible that if you were using a public proxy the server has locked up or is otherwise FUBAR'ed but nobody actually pays any attention to it, so you just need to change to a different one.

(fwiw numero dos, I'm not enamored of using public proxy servers for secure comms. You're basically allowing someone to sniff your traffic, and although the FTP client is encrypted they can log the entire data stream and work at it for as long as necessary. This is not a good thing.)

[ QUOTE ]
i have no access to other computers, so i can't run a vpn on an outside computer

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then that won't work, will it? First step, make sure you were actually using Proxifier. Second step, check the status of the proxy server you were using. Third step, use a different proxy server.

AIM me if none of this works, and we'll see if we can't get you going some other way.