View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 AM

Default Re: The Trip-Hop/Chill/Dream Pop thread

Wow a thread I feel I can contribute to, and with a Belgian band in the first post even to make me feel all proud of my homeland and stuff [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Before I add a few albums I just wanted to comment on this.
[ QUOTE ]

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Long considered the "masterpiece" of the genre...

[/ QUOTE ]
[nitpick]I don't think you can say this, I've noticed here in North America most ppl are of this opinion maybe because it was simply played the most yet in Europe the choice of defining album was usually between either Blue Lines or Protection although Mezzanine has a ton of fans. Not that this matters though, they're all great. Personally I can't really pick one, the sound between the albums is so very different. [/nitpick]

I can also concur on Moon Safari. I had this cd playing in my bedroom for 2 years nonstop, as in it never got turned off, it played for 2 years straight 24/7 until the wife and I moved to another place. And yet I'm still not tired of this album nor of any of the songs.

Now to add some not mentioned yet. Some of these are not trip hop in the purest sense, but honestly Massive Attack and Portishead are probably the only "pure" ones.

Moloko - Do you like my tight sweater

The only word that comes to mind to describe Moloko's trip hop is "insane".

Moloko - Killa Bunnies (amateur clip and the song is about 1 min longer on the album.)
Who can resist with a song title like that and lyrics like:

Sniveling little bunny bouncing up and down,
Scummy little creatures,
Run them out of town,
In the tiny tunnels scuffling under ground,
Toxic little bunny can always be found,
Danger evil rodent,
Multiplying every day,
Bunny taking over,
Get on your knees and pray,
Filthy fluffy creatures,
Teeth as sharp as knives,
The longeared ones are coming,
Run run run for your lives,

Moloko - Day for Night (Live) (Live performance sadly, sounds 10x better on the album)

Moloko - Fun for Me (nice to be reminded how damn sexy Roisin Murphy is)

DJ Krush
I don't have an album to recommend for this Japanese artist as I only have single songs. He does a decent amount of more regular hip hop stuff but he also has trip hop gems like.

DJ Krush - Dig This Vibe Clip has nothing to do with song but is only one out there. Song is 4+min in actual track.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

While they are not all Trip Hop noone weaves and creates songs like DJ Shadow. Almost every song is 5 to 9 minutes of perfection that tingles every one of your senses. Sometimes I miss the female vocals that are so typical of a lot of trip hop songs but when in the right mood a DJ Shadow song is nirvana. Even these YouTube video's don't really do the songs justice.

DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World

DJ Shadow - What Does your Soul Look Like part 4 (only 1 min of it though)

Thievery Corporation - Mirror Conspiracy

Again, not every song is trip hop.

Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde

Thievery Corporation - Indra Ignore the video.

That's it for now. Most modern trip hop is mixed with other styles like ambience, trance, D n' B and stuff so it's hard to find pure trip hop albums anymore. Not that this is bad, I quite like some of the newer mixed stuff like Morcheeba etc.

Honestly though, you could lock me up for the rest of my life on an island with just the Massive Attack, Portishead and Air discographies and you wouldn't hear me complain, even though I listen to everything from Classic to Hip Hop to Industrial.

Oh, and since I'm now somewhat homesick I have to end with one more Hooverphonic song.

Hooverphonic - Eden (it sounds hollow on all the vids though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

Did you ever think of me
As your best friend
Did I ever think of you
Im not complaining
I never tried to feel
I never tried to feel this vibration
I never tried to reach
I never tried to reach your eden

Sorry if this turned out too long :P

-Kirg