View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Wheeling Poker Room Review

I played in the $2/5 game on Saturday for 14+ hours. I found the dealers to be generally competent, the floor to be responsive and authoritative, and the waitresses to be attentitive and overworked.

For the first 4-5 hours of play the wait lists were manageably long and we had a steady rotation of players. After about 7pm the list was so long that the softest money lost patience and never showed up when their seats were called. Eventually we wound up with a table where nobody was especially weak. More tables, or better planning to accomodate another 1-2 tables of $2/5 and one more table of $5/10 would probably help with this.

At the end of my session I overheard a floor person having a conversation with one of the better dealers in the room. They were discussing the situation of a player beginning to rack up and taking a hand while doing so and whether or not the racked chips played. The dealer thought they should, but the floor instructed him that racked chips are out of play. I asked if the player would be permitted to then unrack his chips and was told he could. Seems like a "going south" loophole to me.

They also have a funky button ruling in the room. If a player busts or goes absent when he should be on the small blind or the button, the button advances to the next seated player. He must then post a small blind, the person to his left posts a big blind and the person to his left also posts a big blind. The small blind is live money. The next hand, the button advances to the player who was in the first big blind the previous hand. He then posts a small blind, the person to his left posts a small blind, and the person to his left posts a big blind. Hands thereafter the button and blinds posts as normal. This caused a some confusion amongst the players and a couple of the dealers.

There were a lot of line jumpers at my table. The dealers seemed oblivous to this and never once confirmed that a new player was being seated by a floor person. The dealers also were hit and miss on their enforcement of the room's no cell phones rule and not a single dealer even tried to enforce the no-chew policy. They were all quick, however, to enforce the rule that disallows foreign objects from the table -- only chips, cards, and drink holders are allowed on the felt.

Wonkadaddy, I was playing in the $2/5 game in the middle of the room on Saturday night. There was one other game at an adjacent table and along a wall. I was in the three seat, big guy with a pony tail.