View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: An “Only in LA” Story - The Dealer Stall and the $1 po

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any rake/drop based on pot size is definitely illegal under current California law. But I believe you can get around this a bit by triggering the drop on an event not directly related to pot size. If you feel you need to take the full drop all at once, I'd make that trigger a called bet post flop. But it may be possible to take the drop in pieces (e.g., a called bet post flop takes half the drop, a second called bet takes the other half). The Normandie actually did something like this a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I’m kind of reviving an old thread here but I’ve seen Rick talk a number of times about how to improve LA rake and I just had a thought that might help. At Ocean’s 11 they have a separate low limit room with 1/1NL and 2/4 limit. They have the standard CA auto rake except that they don’t take any drop, other than the jackpot, until the pot reaches $7. So if 4 people limp in the 1/1 game and check it down to the river, no drop is taken.

This contradicts what you said above and I’m not sure whether what they are doing can be structured legally or if they are simply doing it anyway. I believe it's been set up this way for a while though so I would tend to think it's legit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the LA county DA's office holds a slightly different position on what is legal forcing the LA county clubs to not do that.