View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: ***First Official BCS Standings Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Margin of victory isn't weighted at all. A 1 point win against FAU is just as good as a 42 point win against Kent State.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it occur to you that margin of victory is weighted less to discourage teams from beating up on cupcakes all season to go undefeated? SoS should be and should have always been 1000x more important than margin of victory. I don't think anyone really thinks USF is better than tOSU, but their ranking is a reward for 2 victories against very tough teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Margin of victory isn't weighted less, it isn't allowed to be used in the computer polls. The theory behind it is as you say, to prevent blowouts, but this is stupid. The very smart people who write these computer polls know how to intelligently take margin of victory into account, which is why people like sagarin have multiple ratings, the one they use for the BCS and their regular one that uses more available information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said SoS is weighted so as to encourage schools to play decent competition rather than scheduling cupcakes all year - I never said anything about preventing blowouts and running up the score; I know that was the reason many were calling for the abolition of margin of victory, but it is not the reason why I think it's an absolutely retarded method of figuring the best team.