View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: VW Brake Question

milliondollaz helped out in another thread with this info:
[ QUOTE ]
all the cheapo's use the same stuff, and you'll get the same performance. if you are comfortable buying brakes from autozone or advance auto parts, i wouldn't worry about the quality of your brakes.

if you like to drive fast, and don't care about dust, get some Hawk pads.

if you don't get a brake fluid flush, i wouldn't worry about it till 100k. its good to get the water and possible air out of your brake lines, but if you haven't ever noticed spongy brakes, meh. $40 sounds like a good deal to get someone else to do it, but it always reminds me that there is no free lunch. you might not want a $40 brake flush.

you don't want some joker overtightening your bleed screws, they are easy to overtighten. and they mess up the caliper when they are overtightened, not the 50 cent bleed screw.

also, your brake master cylinder is just a piston with seals around it, going back and forth inside a cylinder. when you push on the brakes, the piston moves a proportional amount to the distance your pedal travels. so over the 55k life of your car, your pedal has probably only moved a certain amount, so the seals inside your master cylinder have only moved through a small region. this region is probably smooth and shiny. what happens to cars as they get older, the water that gets absorbed into the brake fluid starts to surface corrode the inside lining of your cylinder. so when you take an old car in to get brakes, and they bleed the brake fluid, some 14 year old kid gets into your car and pushes the brake pedal all the way down to flush the fluid out, and pushes your virgin seals past the shiny part where they live, right into the corrosion, and rips them to shreds. so now you mysteriously have a leaky master cylinder, and while you are at a stop light, with constant pressure on your brake pedal, it slowly moves in. you don't notice this till later, and the jiffy lube circle of life continues.

if you put 55k miles on your car in 10 years, there might be corrosion inside your master cylinder. if your car is only 4 years old, some 14 year old kid can't screw it up, since the inside of your master cylinder probably looks fine.

between those arbitrary years i made up, i personally would make sure they didn't push the pedal all the way down. 4 years is VERY conservative by the way, 10 might still be fine but i like doing things right on my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm copying my response to here where it should be.

Thanks for all the info. Before I saw your response I realized it'd be better to start a thread in the right forum instead of hijacking an OOT thread. It's here.
So you addressed most of my concerns, but I had one additional one brought up today when I picked up my car from the $450 brake job place. A mechanic mentioned these VW brakes are easy to screw up and they might screw up my master cylinder because the calipers were different. Should I be worried about Brake Check handling these?