View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Some thoughts/clarifications

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A state police officer is also part hero. The things that drove him to be a cop in this society would often mean he'd be a full fledged hero in a free society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what?

The police/military are the ones who have completely sold their soul to the system at the expense of their fellow man. That's the complete opposite of being a hero. It's only a 'hero' in the statist/double think sense of the word.

A real hero is one who has moral integrity and says NO despite how people judge him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the desire and the willingness to defend yourself is admirable. I do not think the state does this effectively (and thus the result is not admirable).

What I mean is that the instincts that tell a marine to be a marine (since he lives in a world where he is led to believe that protection of his state is so very right) are the same instincts that would make him more likely to act in what I would consider a "heroic" way in a free society. He's probably more likely to be the guy jumping in the lake to save the old lady. Do you disagree with that assumption?

So I'll look at the big picture (state law enforcement) and say, well that's not heroism. But I think most of the individual actors have a heroic nature, but are misguided.

(Which leads me to wonder if people who act "bravely" are actually more likely to follow a path of misguidance in the first place. Maybe it requires a certain disregard for yourself as an individual to ever act as a "hero".)