View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: illegal to have offshore entity pay you to donate to lobbying firm ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Essentially, it is pretty transparent you are being asked to exchange funds with an illegal offshore entity and a US based lobbying organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with the "illegal offshore entity" part. But lets think of it as saying "legal offshore entity".

I am considering Full Tilts proposal. ($200 if donate $100 to PPA) Is this covered by any current U.S. legislation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting question.

<Begin speculation>

It could be money-laundering.

Suppose a major drug smuggler is arrested. His offshore drug kingpin boss wires $100000 to the U.S. to hire the best lawyer available. The Government seizes the tainted money. Oops.

Let's try again. The kingpin wires you $110000 and you pay the lawyer, keeping $10000 for yourself as commission. That sounds like money-laundering and you could go to prison.

What does that have to do with FTP? Replace "lawyer" with "lobbyist", "drug smuggling" with "illegal gambling" and you seem to be doing a similar thing. This could be a crime, at least on paper. Of course I can't imagine them trying to prosecute it.