View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Iron Chef OOT 3/21-4/1

Entree

<font color="red"> Mesquite Grilled Ribeye with Roasted Poblano and Red Jalapeņo Sauce Topped with Fried Green Tomatillos </font>

Ribeye

Soak mesquite wood chips. Add wet chips to hot charcoals. Wait a few moments until the chips smoke. Salt the steaks with kosher salt and add a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Grill to medium rare.

Roasted Poblano and Roasted Red Jalapeņo

Poblano chili pepper
Red jalapeņo chili peppers
Crema poblana
Chopped onion
Cream
Grated Cotija cheese

Note: I was looking for Poblano peppers and couldn't find one. I picked up a Pasilla pepper which looked like a Poblano. When reading up on Pasilla peppers I found out that in California Poblano peppers are often called Pasilla pepper, so there you go.

Cook poblano and red jalapeņo chili peppers over open charcoal flame until the skin blackens and blisters.

Place in a paper bag for a few minutes. Remove peel. Chop.

Take 2 small pans. Place poblano and chopped onion in one. Place red jalapeņo and chopped onion in the other. Saute until onion is tender. Add ample amounts of crema poblana. Stir and let cook a minute or so on low heat. (I purchased crema poblana with salt so salting the sauce was not necessary). Blend sauce with a hand blender until some of the pepper is incorporated into the crema but not until completely smooth (I wanted a little bit of the bite of the onion and peppers to remain in the sauce). Toss in a handful of grated cotija cheese. If the consistency is not what is desired you can add a little bit of regular cream to the sauce.

Fried Tomatillos

Tomatillos
Cayenne Pepper
Crushed Red Chili Pepper
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Salt
Corn Flour
Corn Meal
Milk
Crema Poblana
Oil for frying

I had my tomatillos ready to fry in a 1/4 slice

and realized I didn't have any egg. I took 4-5 tbsp of milk and thickened it with approx. a tbsp of crema poblana instead. Then take equal parts corn flour and corn meal add Cayenne Pepper, Crushed Red Chilis, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Salt.

Put the tomatillos in milk mixture and then dredge in the flour/meal mixture. Fry until golden.

Plate steak, sauce, and top with several fried tomatillos. Chop cilantro and parsley and sprinkle generously. Place a cilantro sprig amongst the tomatillos. Enjoy!