View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cool thread. i'm kind of gearing towards cash game semi pro-dom myself, with aspirations to make a modest living at 6max 200NL and 400NL. haven't really been able to get the ball rolling too much, though i have enough to live off of for a while from some donkament cashes. for a long time tournaments were sort of my security blanket, 'cause i always felt like any day going to go on a massive downswing in cash. i think i play cash well, though

lately school has me swamped and i've been reading 2+2 and studying the game a lot more than actually playing, since it's something i can do more sporadically than buckling down and putting in a session

anyone else make their living off of poker while still a full time student at a university? i find it hard to focus on both (although i am pretty lazy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Focusing on school and poker is something that I have always struggled at. I do well at school but sometimes I will just get into these poker binges and not go to classes for days at a time, sometimes weeks. Next semester I am just doing college part time because of this. I feel if you want to be successful at both you need to set very strict rules about when to play poker and when to study.

[/ QUOTE ]

myself and all of my friends at school that play semi pro or w/e have this same problem...its all about priorities and all of ours are poker over school

i really havnt gone to many classes at all this semester but i think if your class meets twice a week going to one of those is ok if you can really cram before finals which i think works best for me

anyway gl op and i could be wrong i would guess that moving up above 1,2 (almost definitely 2,4) is a bad idea...over a frew k hands you may think wow-no biggie, but the games really are much different, i would try and get in about 100k hands + at mostly 1,2 and some 2,4 before i played much 3,6 or 5-10 at all (*there isnt that much difference skill wise between 3,6 and 2,4 just more variance $$ bc of bigger buyin)

anyway, gl man