View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Degenerative Disc Disease

I was just diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, along with 2 herniated discs (between L4-L5 and L5-S1).

The MRI report says this for L4-L5: "loss of signal in the intervertebral disk. Constenting bulging of the disk with annular tear and posterior central herniation indenting the ventral thecal sac. Also facet joint arthropathy and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. Mild to moderate narrowing of the central canal. There is Schmorl's node deformity.

It says the same for L5-S1, along with, "the herniated disk is in position affecting the descending right S1 nerve root."

There are also spondylotic changes involving the lumbar spine.

In short, I had what was originally diagnosed as a pulled hamstring about 3 months ago. After it did not get better I saw an ortho who recommended therapy. Therapist says, "Dude, you almost definitely do NOT have a pulled ham, you have what looks just like a disc problem." Went back to doc, he prescribes MRI, and here we are. Constant pain in right leg (sciatica) and an inabilityt to sit, sleep, [censored], and [censored]. Life is not really good right now.

Has anyone else had this? If so, what did you do to fix it (if anything)? Do I even bother trying alternatives like acupuncture, massage, chiro, etc? I have seen a chiro in the past for back pain but never had it like this.

FWIW, I am not fat, but I am tall and old (41).