View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Who makes more mistakes- short stack or big profit stack?

Didn't read the other responses so I hope I don't repeat to much of what's already been said.

I don't think it matters if it's big bet or small bet (maybe I misunderstand the term though). It's all about odds, pot and implied. It then matters if a player or players know how to adjust their play for the appropriate stack sizes around them.

So I guess I look at your question as more of: Who makes the most mistakes? And I'd say it's usually the guy who gets up early. Typically, imo, the reason for this is he starts to loosen up and plays marginal hands he doesn't normally play. This causes him some difficult decisions, which he's not used to making, leading to more mistakes. Generally he ends up leaking a lot of chips back.

But it could be anyone at anytime for a number of reasons. Tilt, stuck, tired, drunk, bored or even just a bad run all come to mind.

There was a lot of information just plain wrong in that other thread.

Short stacks (where a player has about 20%-40% of the stack size of the players around him. Ex. I have $200 and everyone else has $500-$1,000 in a 1/2 game) have an inherent advantage. As the big stacks all adjust to play against each other they will play incorrectly against the SS. Assuming the SS knows how to play a SS. And the big stacks are playing correctly against each other too.

I think the biggest problem with the SS, if played correctly, is that it's going to be boring. It's basically push / fold and your decision is either made preflop or on the flop. Thats all there is to it. Thats not why a lot of players play poker, especially home poker. They come to play. They come for the suck outs and bad beats...lol