View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Simple reason why I do not think taxation = theft

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have moral principles, I just don't consider them "universal" or "ultimate" or whatever the hell you guys are talking about. Anyway, anarchism is more justifiable on a practical basis, we are better off without the state (eventually) then we are with it (in my opinion..i.e. not universal anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was getting at--concepts such as "better off" are normative concepts. So it seems to me that either you do actually believe in some fundamental, quasi-universal ethical principles, or if you truly don't then the endeavor of arguing with people about anarchism seems kinda pointless since there aren't any 'right' answers and there is no reason for others to accept your views on what makes us 'better off'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. I present my case for why X is better than Y, in my opinion, and hope that they agree. Even if I got everyone on my side, that's still just an opinion.

There is plenty of reason for people to accept one thing over another without "universal morality." They just decide on which one they prefer! Why is that so difficult?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's difficult because he's been conditioned to believe the basis of his beliefs rests on absolute truth. Waking up to this fallacy has apparently not been easy for him.