View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: What`s all part of being a pro?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that there's some auto assumption that all online players play so over their head that a bad run could be disastrous or even that we are all capable of going broke?

Limon, u are from another time. We are not a crowd iresponsible degenerates anymore. Most high stakes nl players are very smart

[/ QUOTE ]

two years ago i held this assumption and i was dead right. but now i don't, because many pros hit a level they were comfortable at and stayed there.

but i still feel pro players should diversify their income sources. poker is a great rush at first and still fun for a certain number of hours a week. but after a while it becomes a serious grind for most people. that's a huge risk you take as a pro poker player if you don't live below your means or seek out alternate sources of income.

investing and diversifying income sources isn't easy, but it's also not that hard. you don't have to invest a hundred hours to find a decent property, buy a self-service car wash, or start a small company. for example, over one year i spent about 100 hours learning about and buying all my residential rental properties, and finding a good management company. haven't touched it in 2 years. my time output is reading and filing my statement once a month and calling on any problems. it takes 15 minutes in a bad month.

the point is if you're smart and dedicated -- if you can succeed at high-stakes no-limit -- it doesn't take much time to invest or create a business. stop watching tv and you have plenty of time to do whatever you want. just pick something of interest and start reading. use poker as your base and spend just a few hours each week diversifying and investing. just avoid businesses and investments that require lots of your time. in 10 years you can still play poker 40 hours a week if you want to, but you won't have to. and you'll have a different definition of "professional."