View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 AM

Default favorite scenes from the wire (SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS)

Firstly, i want to make a confession. I am the world's biggest wire junkie, ive seen every season multiple times, i sing the theme song at work, i recite the lines while i watch the show, (probably to everyone who sees me do it's chagrin), i will babble on endlessly to my roommate about it (luckily they really like the show too), its just a big mess honestly. But I am going to lay it on you folks i want to talk about my two favorite episodes of the wire.

Now bear in mind i love them all, there is not one single episode of any season that i will not sit down and watch, but there are a couple that are just unreasonably good.

Also, these episodes aren't getting much love on youtube and i cant believe it.

The first, which i am shocked not to see getting much love on youtube, is wire season 3 episode 11 "Middle Ground"

This episode is the series finest moment, it's dramatic peak if you will, and the final episode of the series is more about closing story lines to start a new chapter in season 4. I will post a couple of my favorite scenes from the hbo.com site guides and then i will write about my other favorite episode, as i am sure this one is probably everyone's favorite

Having worked himself into a full-fledged rage, Bell arrives drunk at Avon's safehouse, demanding to see his partner. While he's waiting, Bell tells Slim Charles that he has a job for him: killing Clay Davis. Slim Charles is taken aback by the request: "[censored], murder ain't no thing, but this here is some assassination [censored]," he tells Bell. Barksdale arrives at the same moment, amused by Bell's state, and tells him that "Slim gonna have to sit this one out." When Bell protests, Avon reminds him that to take out a state senator will bring a world of cops down on them. Besides, Avon chides, "You a [censored]' businessman. You don't wanna get all gangsta wild and [censored]."

(wow, the air must have been crackling when they filmed that one. Also did anyone else notice their use of the Akon track "Locked Up" which is playing in the background when Avon walks out, the songs chorus fires up "i got locked up locked up etc" brilliant foreshadowing as Avon is "locked up" one episode later)

Once the cellphone tracking device is up and running, Freamon plucks Bell's private cell number out of the ozone in no time, and is puzzled when he observes Bell calling Major Bunny Colvin. Later, unknown to the Detail, Bell meets Colvin in a graveyard at night, and betrays his partner Avon, who is thwarting Bell's ambitions to expand their empire. Not only does Avon insist on prolonging the feud with Marlo but he won't let Bell order a hit on Davis. So Bell tells Colvin the location of the safehouse where Avon hides out, and that the police will find an arsenal of weapons there. Bell expresses hope that Colvin will limit Avon's fall to five years or less in jail. "If you hit the joint, his people are gonna try to take any weight, say all that firepower is theirs. So all you gotta do is hit him with the parole back-up." Colvin responds that Avon will do at least a nickel, and says to Bell, "He musta done something to you." Bell's response: "It's only business

(did you ever notice how stringer meets in a graveyard, one day before he dies? kinda creepy?)

Avon has the same response — it's all about business — when Brother Mouzone interrupts Avon's haircut in a West Baltimore barber shop. Mouzone recounts his near-death experience the previous year at the hands of Omar, making it clear he knows Omar was set up to kill him, and that it was Stringer Bell who set the plot in motion. Barksdale asks if money will fix the problem, but Mouzone says only one course of action will resolve the matter: "What you got here is your word and your reputation. With that alone, you've still got an open line to New York. Without it, you're done." In other words, Stringer Bell must pay for his sins. Cornered, Barksdale sees no option but to cooperate.

(another brilliant scene, the actors portray their roles perfectly, as you sense the weight both of their organizations carry)

Omar meets Mouzone outside Bell's development site, and when Bell arrives, they follow him inside. After shooting his bodyguard, they pursue Stringer up the stairs until he's trapped. Omar tells Bell that Avon has given him up. Then he and Mouzone unload their weapons into Bell, who falls dead to the floor of the condominium he hoped to create

(dramatic peak of three seasons worth of story lines, it to me is the best scene in the history of television, i know it sounds smarmy but it is how i feel)

now that i have that off my brain, im going to post this and then do one more episode, im worried this wont all fit