View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars 5,400 FPP sng satellite to the Sunday Million

[ QUOTE ]

The ones ive played in, everyone plays so god damn slow, and is so freaking nitty, that after like 15 hands no one has lost any significant amount of chips, and the blinds are high enough that its push/fold poker. Even tho it seems everyone is terrible, you are still going to get busted out 5 thru 10 alot when your 70/30 coinflip (this is stars) misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar - while much of that is true I also believe you are partly making my point for me. Yes, players get nitty and rag it out. But I think many push/fold decisions that are almost automatic pushes in a regular tourney because of your low M become big mistakes with this kind of payout.

I'm far from an SNG expert or anything and I've probably just been running hot. But I think some pretty bad mistakes are made in these things even by the ones who aren't shoving in the opening level with KJ or whatever.
The payout really turns everything on its head and I think it quickly becomes correct to pass up +EV calls in order to ensure survival.
Even when you're down to 3-5 BB's or whatever it might not be insta-shove time. Especially since the ante's will not have kicked-in at all giving you better opportunities to pseudo-wait it out. Not all the time of course.

But I do acknowledge that I haven't exactly run any math on this stuff and mayhe my theories are -EV and I've just been running hot.
I've won an awful lot of these when I've been the short-stack or close to it with 5 or 6 players left. And at points like that whether short or big stacked I think it can play almost the exact opposite of a regular SNG in some ways. People make adjustments...but sometimes it's too much and sometimes it's not enough.