View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: the pure bluff thread

here’s an initial batch for your perusal.

1)
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

effective stack sizes about 120 bb.

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

-loose call, but the intent was to pick up the pot because these guys were tending to play fit or fold postflop

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.75, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.5</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

-bluff #1. relatively uncoordinated board, and the stack sizes are still deep enough behind that villains will need a plan to continue if they’re drawless

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

-I’m generally giving up here.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, Button…

turn and river blanked off and villain is trying to give up. My hand is bad enough that it probably folds out a number of better hands, and this also blocks some worse hands from bluffing back with whiffed draws.

2)
Poker Stars
3 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Button: $21.55
SB: $14
Hero: $24.05

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button folds, SB calls $0.15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.35)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, SB calls $0.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1)</font>.

-blind battle bluffs are tough because dudes never believe each other. Pf raise here was for value and to exploit position. I’m barely getting into the whole SPR groove, but when looked at in an SPR light my raise size wasn’t great because it put me at 14, which kind of sucks for this type of hand if villain is tough. This guy isn’t though.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls.

villain donked into me on this low board, and made a weak looking bet. Instead of raising right away, I decide to float and try to take it on the turn. The main reason for this is so that I can change plans if I see a straight card fall off.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB…

-the bluff trifecta! I can rep this card, it doesn’t complete any draws, and there’s still enough left behind that a raise should scare the bejeebus out of any non-made hand here. Further, villain made what looks like a series of two blocking bets. Up we go!

3) Poker Stars
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5.40
UTG+1: $44.75
CO: $46.45
Button: $25.95
SB: $2.40
Hero: $26.25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls $0.25 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $0.35)</font>, 2 folds, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.6, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.5</font>, CO calls $0.5 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $1.1)</font>.

-I like to donk into mono flops when HU if only for the fact that the majority of the time villain wont have the flush draw and will have to make a tough decision. villain peeled here, so I put him on a diamond in some form or another.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.6, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks.

-villain’s turn check through was a little problematic. He’s almost surely not already flushed, but it now becomes somewhat less likely that he had the diamond in the first place since I’d expect a semibluff there most of the time. The turn check suggests a weak pair or some version of a flush draw that may have showdown potential.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1.6, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $6</font>, CO …

-wheeeee nut low! I contemplated betting right out here, but I didn’t like the risk/reward of doing that in such an obvious spot. I’m not missing any value if we check through and he accidentally drags it, but the other advantage to checking is that I can induce a bluff myself here. Once he puts the river bet in I have to think that he’s most likely on a busted flush or a one-pair type hand that is going to hate seeing this action on this specific card. I played my hand just like a draw, and the river is a great bluff card vs that range. Since I was on the nut low I decided to hedge a bit and raise an amount that was likely to push him off of a few made hands. A smaller raise gets him off of a similar range, but I wasn’t really in the mood to get looked up with middle pair here. Thought on this hand appreciated!

thx