Thread: Cigar Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

Something big that has been left out of the OP.

Lighting

The best thing to light cigars with is a butane lighter, preferably a dualjet for a wider flame. Butane is preferable to a normal lighter because the gas won't change the flavour of the tobacco. If you don't have access to a butane lighter, try using the cedar paper that comes with most cigars. Just break off a piece, light it, then light your cigar for it.

To light your cigar, hold it about an inch above the flame, then roll the cigar between you thumb and index finger to get an even light. A good cigar only needs to be smoked every minute or so to stay lit, so try to avoid relighting your cigar.

On cutting, a double edged cutter is best. This applies pressure evenly to both sides of the cigar at once, reducing the chances of tearing the cigars wrapping. After that, the hierarchy i believe goes double edged cutter > cigar scissors > single blade cutter.

My personal favourites are cohiba's and monte cristo's, but because i'm a euro and can get genuine cubans, i can't comment on what the quality or taste is like on their US counterparts. If you can get the real thing though, my usual is the monte cristo number 2, which will run you about 20 dollars a cigar. It's very smooth, and has an easy draw. Very enjoyable to smoke.