View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Improving your speaking voice

Anecdote:

I suck at public speaking. Often times in highschool and college, I would get nervous as hell, (in college I would even shake). I found that it was because I was not prepared. I mean I would go up, knowing there was no way in hell I should be giving a speech, and then talk.

Quit funny in retrospect.

Anyway, last semester, I had to give a speech. Luckily, I got to choose what I would blab about, and i chose "Making Music on your Computer". I basically showed to a hall of 100 kids (by far the biggest crowed I ever talked to) how to make music. And I was not nervous at all; I was talking loud, and not conscious about myself; only focusing on the presentation.

Now, I did take about 7 or 8mg of hydrocodone (chewed it up mind you) as well as some valarian root to chill myself out, but honestly I doubt it did much; I was thinking clear, focused, and doing well.

I attribute it to knowing, very well, what you are talking about. Now, that is not the only factor. I recently did some poker videos of me playing NL30 deep on FT. And in relistening, I found that I sound like I am high on heroin:

Quite/timid voice
Lazy sounding/talking slow
In general it sounds like I am uninterested/not confidant

Now, in reality I smash these games like like windows during the L.A riots. Its just my voice/style. It always seems liek I am sad or bored, b/c my voice is monotone, and slow. Speaking in a huge hall, I had to cognitively compensate, however when I am not in those circumstances, I do not compensate, and thus my voice is very mellow.

So I guess what I am saying is; it is a multi edge sword, and I too am fighting this battle. (actually not really, but maybe I'll start working on my PS skills)