View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Anyone to ask about living in the Philippines?

Hey Jim. I wouldn't attempt to drive in the Philippines let alone drive a motorbike (there are exceptions of course, like being in a remote area and u need your own transportation). Philippines is not Thailand as the drivers are crazy and the infrastructure is pretty bad. You definietely feel you are in a third world country when you leave the makati area of Manila. I wouldn't suggest it. It also takes you 2 hours to get from one suburb to another. Taxis are so cheap and easy, there's no point in stressing yourself out on the road solo.

Little about myself: I am half filipino and have been to the Philippines around 9 times in my life, sometimes for stretches lasting 3 months.

Let's talk about Manila

Pros:

-You get great value for your money. Cheap drinks, cheap food even in high end restaurants, cheap transportation, cheap movies (higher end cinemas than North America), cheap everything.

-The women love foreigners. I am treated like a rock star whenever I am there. When you walk in a club you feel as if you can pick up any chick (these are 100% not whore joints, I'm talking about the most posh clubs in Manila). Fyi, when you look at a hot girl, you see a hot girl, when a hot girl looks at you, they see a walking green card.

-Extremely friendly people, and they all speak english. It's actually a very english friendly country thanks to 50 years of American occupation (it was a friendly union for the most part, unlike Iraq). All street signs, billboard advertisements are in english.

-Bored of Manila? Why not try a weekend trip to Cebu or the other dozen 5 star resort locations around the Philippines for $200-$300 dollars/weekend? (Includes flight and hotel stay, ridic cheap)

Cons:

-Pollution is terrible in Manila.
-It's so humid that you never feel dry, especially after a shower. (AC is mandatory)
-Getting around Manila is a nightmare (2 hour traffic jams is the norm). If you plan on living there as a poker pro, find a place in the Makati area and you will never have to leave (clubs, shopping, high end everything).

Conclusions: If I continue on improving my earn rate the way I am doing now, I will for sure spend at least 6 months in the Philippines, it's a great place for people like us.