View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Cheating in Online Poker

I, too, am pretty disturbed by all of this, and never could figure out the purpose of the ActionJeff thread. He seemed to be calling people out for some kinds of cheating, then was perfectly ok with other kinds. I guess it's wrong if it's being done to me, but ok if my buddies and I are the ones profiting from it. We come down hard on JJProdigy and ZeeJustin and it makes us feel better, but I feel that multi-accounting is less cheating than the collusion-type activities considered "unenforceable."

Online poker is kind of in its "Wild West" phase. In the old West, the rule of law was very difficult to establish because law enforcement was inadequate to keep up with the rapid influx of new settlers, and there were such large areas of land to cover. Eventually, the rule of law was established but, in the meantime, lawmen were pretty much on their own to keep order the best they could. But I doubt the Sheriffs and townsfolk were saying "Well, we can't stop Butch Cassidy from stealing cattle so why not just let him?"

Some studies have shown that the vast majority (80-90% iirc) of the younger generation (not just poker players) believe that it's ok to cheat to get ahead in education (cheating on tests), and on the job, at a significantly higher percentage than previous cohorts (I don't remember the source of the study, but it was quoted in a Reader's Digest article from about 10 years ago). I think that's the sort of thing uclabruinz (and I) saw in the ActionJeff thread.

Although one expects to see all manner of angle-shooting and ethically challenged individuals in a money driven activity such as poker, I don't think it means that we have to accept it, especially since all of us will make less money, not only because of the direct impact, but because of the perceived loss of credibility for potential newcomers who won't want to get involved with an activity they see as stacked against them.

Sorry for the long post. I don't have anything specific to suggest yet, but the lack of response from PS is a serious error in judgment imo, and will end up costing them in the long run. Shedding light on this by writing an article on it is a good start.