View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Cap flop HU with middle pair +FD?

If the TAG is aggro at all and sometimes postures in blind-steal situations, then you're probably a favorite versus his range even after he 3-bets. (With two cards to come, I mean. I don't think you're a favorite to be currently ahead.) So that makes the cap for value.

If I capped the flop, I would probably try to play the hand so that only one bet went in on the big streets unless I improved. The safest way to do this is to check the turn if you can. The problem with this is that you're only going to win one bet on the river if the flush hits. (You still will likely win two if you make trips or two pair.)

If you bet the turn instead, you can bet again on the river if you improve and check if you don't. The problem with this is that there's some chance Villain is lining up a turn checkraise, and suddenly you're paying 2 bets on the big streets (then again, at least in that scenario you pretty much know you don't need to show down UI, but folding a pair on the river in a big pot is never going to feel completely "safe" in a blind-steal situation when your only read on your opponent is "TAG").

Anyway, another option is to just call the 3-bet with the plan of calling down UI and popping the turn or river if you do improve.