View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Sit \'n Go Strategy study group -- Part 2: Mid Blind Play

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the book but here are my thoughts on this stage (up to 20 bb or so).

1) A good way to play is to simply fold every hand that you aren't willing to get AI with. This is basically what I did and it doesn't burn that many chips because the levels are so short. If you pick up something like 99 UTG you should probably just throw it away.

2) You are usually in "your hand doesn't matter" mode. There is very little difference between stealing with ATo and 54s OTB since you won't get called often (and even then you aren't always going to showdown) and you have to fold both to a shove. The trick is to find people that will give away their blinds and steal with whatever your delt. Your hand only matters if you are looking to showdown and this is the stage of the game where you are only looking to hold serve and avoid big pots without the boss hand.

3) Most people raise far too much when trying to steal. Of course this is fine when you have something but since your cards don't matter (if you decide to play this style) you should be looking for the smallest possible raise that gets it done. Generally you are looking at <= 2.5xbb. Not only does putting in a 4x raise lose more when someone does resteal, but people should resteal more often against larger raises when you aren't pot committed.

4) Restealing is tricky because of the different styles. Some aggressive players will play very few pots in this phase while others will be looking to pick up some easy chips. You have to figure out who is who before you developing a restealing strategy against regular players. Most successful players play a similar style in the push/fold part but those same players will range from TT+/AK to ATC when the stacks are more then 12 bb.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon people give this thread more love, I think it's great good job Slim.

As far as your post goes I dis agree with a few things.

1. 99 UTG w' 20 BB 5-6 Handed I like a limp, but this is just a difference in style and I personally will sometimes fold given table dynamics or if severely multitabling (16+)

2. [ QUOTE ]
You are usually in "your hand doesn't matter" mode. There is very little difference between stealing with ATo and 54s OTB since you won't get called often (and even then you aren't always going to showdown) and you have to fold both to a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had quite a bit of a problem with this. There was a great discussion of this started by Ryanhall, maybe 1-2 months ago. Whilst assuming stacks are 20 deep and even you will fold those both to a push. I think BB defends with a call more than a push. Sticking in 20BB's there they usually have a pretty premium hand and you need probably 99+ Aqs+ to call. I hate raising here with 54s.

3. [ QUOTE ]
The trick is to find people that will give away their blinds and steal with whatever your delt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this,

TIP: Look for the big Multi-tablers like myself who are in auto muck/push mode.

4. Just keep your raises to a 3xBB +1BB for each limper. Varying ur raise too much gives away the strength of ur hand a lot (not all) of the time. I tend to resteal on people who minraise late quite wide.

Some thoughts??????????? Let's not let this die hopefully the series will become an awesome sticky.