View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Button steal hand leads to heated theory argument

[ QUOTE ]
My roommate and I had a long theoretical argument based on a hand that came up at the 30-60 HG game.

Principal players:

My roommate - pretty tight 2p2'er... everyone realizes he is a positional player, he has been three beating a lot from the HJ and button... but ironically he has had the goods several times, turning over KK on the button twice.

He is kind of a goofy guy... so I think he gets WAY more action than he should based on the fact that he is a good player and/or has a pretty tight preflop raise range. The way people view him is kind of an anomaly to me.

SB- Typical lose-mid-aged-asian-LA player.

BB- ROCK- ROCK- ROCK

folded to my buddy on the button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], RAISE

Call, Call

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Check, Check, Bet

Call, Fold

Turn Queen[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Check, my roomy bets.

SB C/R's... my roommate folds.

Here's the argument.

ME- I HATE taking any line that doesn't allow me to get to showdown with a hand that has value. Furthermore... it seems like the overused "play" around LA is to C/R the turn against a steal raise with any hand, any draw, and/or ace high (pretty standard); this seems to be used WAY more around LA than would seem optimal.

I feel if you are going to fold this turn for one bet... why not just check behind and use that one bet you pumped into the pot on the turn to call a river bet and get to show-down?

I really think this guy's C/R range includes any flush draw, a King (obviously), a Queen, and all pocket pairs lower than 9's.

My Roomy- He feels you absolutely HAVE to bet here to charge hands like Ace high, flush draws, and smaller pairs... however, he feels it's an easy fold to the check raise.

I obviously disagree, due to my roomies age, his obvious steal position, and the looseness of the villian... I think folding this turn is really bad. AND, if you are capable of folding here for one bet... why not just check behind and get to the showdown for one bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is a fold, two broadway overs. But you have to make that decision before you bet on the turn. You are going to invest one more bet, and one bet only, to try to win this pot. You can either check the turn to try to induce a bluff on the river, and invest your bet in calling. Or you can bet the turn, planning to check behind on the river, but you have to fold to a check raise. Which plan is best depends on the opponent. Against aggressive and tricky opponents the check on the turn is often best to avoid being forced into folding the best hand. Against conservative and passive opponents you have to bet the turn. They will not check raise frequently enough to make this a strong threat (and when they do you're beat and can comfortably fold), and you can't often induce a river bluff out of such players.