View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Is the national debt a good thing or a bad thing?

[ QUOTE ]
And remember the vast majority of the new Debt created in the last 7 years was due to tax cuts on the wealthy rather than spending increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

so, you're telling me that the cost of bush's tax cuts are not only "vastly more" than the cost of the war in iraq, but also vastly more than all additional bush govt spending in the past 7 years?

please show cites so i can verify that, because on the surface, that sounds like total rubbish.

[ QUOTE ]

So the debt we are incurring is not necessarily done so for the good of the majority. ( major road construction etc. )

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but (and i'll play devils advocate here...i do believe in a fairer tax) which portion of the population PAYS for those things that help the majority (like roads)? if you look at the distribution of tax receipts from the IRS by income level, a ridiculously large majority come from those with over some large minimul level of income (i think it's put at >100k).

then place that the distribution of wealth of US taxpayers over the tax receipts distribution and you see that the minority pay for the majority. so why shouldn't they get a break if it still results in the few paying for far more of everything for the majority?

[ QUOTE ]
Rather the wealth of the super rich has increased dramatically leading to some dramatic demand increases for products and services catering to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, that tends to happen during massive bull market runs as we've had in the past 5 years. that gain in wealth is not due to tax decreases. if you decompose their increases in wealth, i'd wager a not "drastic" % comes from tax reductions.

[ QUOTE ]
A side benefit that does work for the majorities favor is the rich will invest in private enterprise which can be highly beneficial for the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's tons more but yes thats 1.

[ QUOTE ]

Overall a shifting of the financial burden to the future so that the current generation of rich can be richer. An interesting case of how this works out is the Gates Foundation. Bill Gates saves millions of dollars each year due to the tax cuts. He then chooses how this money will be spent for the good of the world. Rather than the US Govt.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't tell what your point is. are you saying gates puts the money he saves in taxes into the foundation? are you saying that "interesting" means "unique" among the rich or something? what does "interesting" mean in your context above?

the foundation has billions, not millions. didn't buffet pledge like $40billion in shares of BH when he dies?

further, the foundation is possibly the largest single privately held aid thing, right? what one is bigger?

their investment strategy is also great because, unlike some charitable organizations, it doesn't plan to exist for more than 50 years or something. so it plans to earn the maximum amount it can from investing, and then pay out more than that every year.

Barron