View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Bluffing the Flush

Hm. Thanks for the explanation. It sounds to me like this is just a semi-bluff, no? I guess my problem with it is that the only people who could really get psyched out by the bluff is someone who holds a low flush or a high straight to your low(er) straight, right? I mean, who are you really scaring:

If you have a bona fide straight, anyone with three of a kind will fold if you represent it anyway;

The next step up from a straight is the flush, in which case, bluffing the flush won't scare out a full house or better;

So the only thing a flush-bluff gets you here is a contest against a low flush or a high straight. If that is the case, what is the benefit of a semi-bluff like this one and an outright bluff?

This raises interesting questions (in my mind, anyway, but I'm new at this) about the utility of a semi-bluff where your hand is so close to the hand you're representing. Seems like semi-bluffs are only any good if your actual hand is far away from the pretend hand.

I will not suprise me if someone says I'm barking up the wrong tree, so I'd love an explanation why that's so.