View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: what do artists get out of creating art

[ QUOTE ]
suppose someone has a great story or a great painting inside of them. getting it out could take years of torment, failure and misery.

if the effort worth it?

what the artist gains:

1. financial gain (sometimes)
2. respect from peers, fame (sometimes)
3. self satisfaction with his creation/achievement

I'm concerned with #3. Do we have any artists on record saying whether all their pain was worth it? Are artists victims who were cursed with a capacity for greatness and realizing this felt a responsibility to sacrifice their blood and sweet?

If a director watches his film 500 times to make sure its perfect, aren't we the viewer who sits down relaxingly to watch it getting more out of it than he does?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great OP. Your concern with just #3 says a lot about you. With regard to 1 & 2, they can potentially prove unhealthy, fleeting and, in a lottery business, terminally absent. If asked, I think most artists, regardless of medium, would say that the work should be the reason that the artist pursues their craft. Good to dismiss 1 & 2 early and not risk being distracted off your path.

As far as #3, I think you have to confine the answer to generalities. I think most people who create something, tend to look upon their creations with critical eyes that see more of what is wrong, than what is right. Overall, I think this tends to leave the artist dissatisfied with their work and ultimately even their life.

As far as the act of creation, that, I think, is another story. In my opinion, during the act of creation, an artist pursuing their passion with total focus, concentration and devotion transcends their individual humanity. They are able to reach a place (sometimes painfully) where the rest of us can not travel and, through their work, “bring back” a physical representation of their experience. A tangible “proof” that can then be experienced and painlessly enjoyed by the those who are capable.