View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Young guy, looking for advice on where to go next.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember my first trade my first day of day trading. I had practiced fake buying/selling for a couple weeks after reading some books and decided I had done good enough to giver. I had about 11k in my account and I made 3300 dollars in 20 minutes the first day. I thought I was just a natural at this and was figuring how much I'd make for the year. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. I went the next 3 months roughly breaking even and learned a ton in the process. I soon realized I didnt' think it was for me. Staring at a chart go up and down that much for hours on end gets pretty boring and it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. It was hours of boredom and moments of terror. I had a guy on another poker forum had been helping me out teaching me a lot and told me some stocks he was thinking of getting. Turns out it was high risk stock and I was unaware and as I was seconds away from buying it, a 1.71 stock I was ready to put 12k into, dropped like a sack of rocks to .30 cents ... I would have basically dropped everything I had. I found out 3-4 months in that it wasn't something I wanted to do. It was quiet stressful and I can see why so many stock guys are burned out in there 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly depends on your temperament and interest in the subject. I'm up at 6 am for the 6:30 open. The market closes at 1 pm, but I'm watching the after-hours action until at least 2 pm, often till 4 pm. I'd trade till 6 pm if the market stayed open that long. I've been trading low-intensity style since the 70's, and high-intensity style for over 10 years. I love this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds perfect.