View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Young guy, looking for advice on where to go next.

I re-read your OP. Your question to me about why you wouldn't learn trading in college was ably answered already. It just something that isn't taught. Except maybe at NYU and a couple other schools.

It sounds like you want to live in your old hometown after school? Figure out what kind of jobs are there. An engineering degree won't do you any good if nobody wants to hire an engineer there. You mentioned schools. Ever consider being a teacher? The pay isn't great but it's not bad either, the benefits are killer, and the job security is nearly unmatched. Plus you get summers off. Your college is big in education, so it seems like a good match.

As for where to learn how to trade. I just got back from the Vegas Traders Expo, and there are more trading schools than ever. As in any arena, some of them seem like ripoffs and are probably more hype than substance. Go to a Money Show or Traders Expo and soak up everything you can. When you start buying books or signing up for schools or services, go slow. The more you learn about this stuff, the more you'll be able to figure out what schools and services will be worthwhile and what won't.