View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
Koh Samui / Thailand first timer - Chaweng or Lamai?

I'm going to stay at Koh Samui for 10 days in June. I'm going with my spouse. We're near our 30s.

Things that we enjoy doing on a holiday:
<ul type="square">[*]Snorkling (coral(ish) beaches preferred)[*]Sun bathing (on the beach, not the pool)[*]Eating local food (in restaurants)[*]Some kind of a privacy[*]Shopping[*]Live music + few beers[*]Other activities (safaris, excusrsions etc.)[/list]
Things that we (she [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) dont enjoy:
<ul type="square">[*]Crowded beaches (o rly)[*]Sound of jet skis (o rly)[*]"Spring break" athmosphere (past that)[/list]
So far the Nora Beach Resort (3800 TBH/night) on the northern Chaweng Beach looks like the winner. I'm gonna make the reservation for the first three nights from that hotel unless something comes up in this thread.

Also, any general tips for a first time traveler like me?

PS. So far I only have my flights booked to Bangkok so feel free to suggest other places than Samui if you feel so. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

3800THB/night sounds on the sicker side of sick in terms of prices IMO. Not been to Samui, but you could easily fulfill all your desires/requirements on multiple parts of Phuket without ever coming into Patong (most touristy/nightlifey part). If you want some advice bout specific areas/accom on Phuket drop me a PM.

PS I'm 33 with a 31yr old Long term Thai GF. So this isn't coming from a "young spunker".