View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: I have an idea:Now what?

The idea is this:"A Myspace for rappers" is how my friend described it when I explained it to him. In my opinion, it's sort of a hybrid of Myspace/Monster/Soundclick.

Basically, it's for aspiring/established rappers, producers, musicians, anyone really...To connect for marketing/musical/promotional reasons.

I do think there is a large market for this kind of thing...There are many people out there pushing their music via Myspace, Soundclick, rap forums, etc. This would be another marketing tool that most would probably be eager to sign up for if they found it worthy.

Also, producers/rappers would be able to hook up to collaborate. (Possibly even ghostwriters? Just typing everything I think) My idea entails many search options, with the ability to search by:
-Distance from artist
-Track is for mixtape or album
-Price
-Rapper style(Lyrics like Nas, flow like Jay-Z, content like Eminem, etc)
-Producer style(Liberal use of sample/string instruments like Kanye, crunk like Lil' Jon, heavy scratching/turntablism, Eric B. style)
-Speed of track/BPM

Lots of options. In addition to the "Strictly Business"(<==Already liking that name for the section of the site) aspect, it's also social/networking. Users create a profile similar to that of Facebook or Myspace. Standard stuff really. A forum would probably be part of the site.

At this point, I have no plans for users to upload music onto the site. (I imagine the costs would not be manageable for me. This would be the ideal situation though, in order to centralize the musician's online promotion as much as possible).

I could write a ton more about this, for 1 idea I type, I have 3 more pop in my head. I'm honestly not sure how much I should be posting and how many details of my idea I should be revealing, so I'll cut myself off here.

That should be enough to give you a pretty good idea of what I envision, and probably steal my idea if you are so inclined...but don't think I won't be after you. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You mention "somebody who is not really into website marketing things". This describes me. I have very little experience coding websites(some simple HTML), and I've been known to cook up a pretty mean picbox in VB(I don't even know if that helps anything). I consider myself very computer-savvy though, and I can pick things up pretty quick, and I (sometimes) have the patience for a lot of trial-and-error. I also have a roommate who can create a pretty decent website, and would be willing to help.
Things I have:
The belief my idea will work
Lots of daily free time
A willingness to learn
A library card

Things I don't have:
Money

Keep this in mind for any responses. Please let me know any opinions or comments you may have about my idea. Usually I remain optimistic about my ideas(tube of PB attached to a Chewy bar, and a wetnap attached to a Dorito's bag for quick and convenient finger-cleaning post-snack are my two favorite genius products) until my friends pick them apart from every possible aspect...Unfortunately they do not know enough about online marketing or building a website to crush my dreams this time...so that's on you 2+2.